Friday 19 February 2016

top tips: travelling when pregnant


Our recent trip to Rome last weekend was planned before I found out I was pregnant, so once it transpired that I would be about 5 months in, our plans had to change a little. Here are my top tips for travelling when pregnant:

  1. Check with your airline on their policy for flying pregnant ladies. Most will be fine with you travelling until you’re beyond 30 weeks but many will want a letter from your midwife or a “Fit to Fly” form filled in. For me, Ryanair wanted one for those over 28 weeks.
  2. Let your insurance company know. It may incur a charge but this is better than something happening and then finding out that you’re not covered.
  3. If you’re travelling in Europe, make sure your EHIC card is in date and that you pack it!
  4. When you’re on the plane, make sure to wear a pair of compression socks and get up and walk about as much as possible – at least once an hour. For a short haul trip in Europe, this could easily be covered with a trip to the loo at the beginning and nearer the end of your flight.
  5. Pack your medical notes. Preferably in your hand luggage. Just in case.
  6. Wear loose, comfortable clothing for travelling. And for the whole of your trip – you don’t want to feel constrained.
  7. Make sure to pack sensible shoes for walking. This is particularly important if you’re off on a city break, as I was.
  8. Pack a pillow. I have been exhausted nearly all of my pregnancy. So a 6am flight was pretty tiring. I took a pillow with me for the flight and managed to get an hours sleep in on the way. It was also nice to have a pillow I knew with me on the trip for bedtime too.
  9. Pack snacks. I find that my energy levels dip quickly now that I’m pregnant so I need a lot of snacks. At the beginning I also needed regular snacks to quell any nausea.
  10. Pack light. Believe me, you’ll be thankful when you don’t have to lug a heavy suitcase through the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment